Sunday, November 1, 2009

BELIZE ELECTRIC POWER POWER SURGE BLOWS LOTS OF COMPUTERS IN TWIN TOWNS


Comfortable computer repairman in the tropics!

BELIZE ELECTRIC POWER COMPANY THIS WEEK BURNS OUT A LOT OF COMPUTERS IN TWIN TOWNS, Western Belize THIS PAST WEEK!

One of my two computers went kaput. So I had to take it to the Computer Repair guy. He had to replace the power supply and mother board. Said it was a power surge by BEL during the night. He pointed to a pile of computers he was repairing all from the same power surge and same damage.
I explained I had a surge protector. The repair man told me, it doesn't help sometimes. The surge goes straight through and takes out the power supplies and mother boards.
Cost me $250 to have some second hand ones put in to replace my good computer gear.

Locals say they have had this problem before and BEL the power company will not pay for the damages they are causing to equipment. I have two computers right now, one cheap DELL which didn't get damaged and is used by the family for games and one for my business work communications. This is a more expensive computer and this is the one that got burned out by the BEL power surge. Hope this doesn't happen to often, I can't afford it. We get power outages all the time from the local BEL power company. Don't know why? We are just downstream from the hydro electric dam, two dozen miles. The country apparently continues to have inadequate electrical supply. Wonder what a small 500 mgwatt nucleur power plant would cost?

No comments: