Friday, April 24, 2009

THREE TOURIST PIONEERS OF BELIZE FROM THE SIXTIES, now only Ray Auxillou is still alive.

Ray in Coban, Guatemala on an exploring trip, looking for another retirement place with his wife Silvia, travelling by mini-van collectivos on 900 mile swing through Eastern side of the divide of the mountains in Eastern Guatemala.
Ray Auxillou growing salads for the Hostel in his rooftop nursery.
photo of Ray Auxillou, Belizean tourist pioneer


THE THREE PIONEERS OF TOURISM AS AN INDUSTRY IN BELIZE BACK IN THE 1960'S WERE BERT FOREMAN DOWN AT FOREMANS CAYE, RAY AUXILLOU ON CAYE CAULKER, JOHN GRIEF SR. ON THE BEACH AT SAN PEDRO.

Only Ray Auxillou in his 72 nd year is still alive.
"I have heart arrythmia he says, and I kinda wonder when the end will come? I can sure tell the old body is getting tired. But I can still lift weights on my bench press in the backyard and if I do YOGA and don't eat too much, feel otherwise pretty good. We are still catering to young adventurous exploring tourists out here at Falconview Backpackers Adventure Hostel in Western Belize. The climate and pace is a bit slower than on Caye Caulker, which suits me. I take a nap every afternoon, usually in a hammock. Other than that things are good and I'm enjoying life. Into ART and pencil sketching as a hobby these days."

No comments: